Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Funding My Dreams

In the previous post, I outlined 8 goals that define what I want to do with the time I have remaining. Each goal requires funding, however goals 1, 3 and 8 require funding beyond what my current income and benefits support. Subsequently I need more. But how does one earn extra income, or, more precisely, improve income levels to the point where they suffice to meet one's goals? I've asked this question many times. Unfortunately, my answers have not yet yielded the results I'm looking for. In my quest, I have investigated a number of ways, from working a second job to monetizing a blog. Each has had only modest success. 

Working a second job reliably provided additional income. But investing time in a pursuit I didn't particularly care for, left me physically drained with little to show for it. Monetizing a blog gave me the opportunity to learn much about building websites and quite a bit about using the Internet to market a service. I enjoy crafting sites and managed to build a number of them for clients. But I failed to successfully leverage that experience. What I did learn, however, is that the Net is the most powerful marketing medium ever invented. And, how I go about leveraging that medium to make money is what really matters now.

In the past, I followed the advice of pundits who offered strategies to drive traffic to my blog then capitalize on that traffic with clever content and advertisements. After spending a small fortune on this online marketing 'education', I realized that unless I drove thousands, possibly millions of people to my blog, I wouldn't succeed. It wasn't that their strategies were wrong, I was trying to peddle information in a saturated niche that had plenty of people trying to do the same thing.

After additional research and conversations with many successful Net entrepreneurs, I know now that what I should have been doing is either selling my own product or someone else's.

No comments:

Post a Comment